On Tuesday I went back to the doctor for my "start of the cycle" appointment to get my ovaries checked out. No cysts, so that was good. And then we discussed the new medications. I was getting taken off of the Chlomide pills and being put on the Repronex injections.
Injections? Like, daily? Yes. Every night at about 8:30pm, I need to get an injection in my backside, just below the hip bone, alternating right and left sides each night.
O_O
No one ever said making babies was so hard!
So I waited in the pharmacy and got a prescription of HCG (to be injected when directed) and a big baggie of big 22G 1-1/2" syringes. But they were out of the Repronex and the Progesterone Vaginal Suppositories (excuse me? the doc didn't mention this one), so I said I can pick it up at another pharmacy, which they called and I went and it was all good.
Except, I was supposed to get the little 25G 5/8" syringes too.
I got 20 doses of the Repronex, which is a little tiny bottle of a clear liquid solution, and another tiny bottle with a white powdery substance. With the large needle, you extract 1cc of the solution and inject into the bottle with the white substance that dissolves immediately (and I mean immediately!). Then with the large need, you extract all of that mixed liquid into the syringe and then change the big needle to the little needle and (get the hubster) to inject it below your hip bone. I still had one little 25G 5/8" needle from last time when I had to get the HCG shot, so we used that and it was fine.
Wednesday night we didn't have the little needle anymore, so I told the hubster to go ahead and use the big one and that when I go back to the doctor on Friday morning, I'll get some more. Needless to say, after using the big needle, I went back to the pharmacy the next day. OMG. OMG. The pharmacist said, "The big ones are only for extracting the solution..." yeah. No kidding.
So this morning I went back to the doc so they could see how the Repronex is working. I'm not quite sure how it went. I met the new doctor this morning. He (yes, he. I have been poked and proded so much now, I didn't really care that the new doc was a he - but for this purpose only. For normal ob/gyn and family practice doctors, I still prefer a she) introduced himself: "Hi, I'm Dr. Rosencrantz (I had to really try to not smile and add 'and Guildenstern') and I'm the new infertility doctor here to help with Dr. Murray (my usual I've been seeing)..." and then in goes the transvaginal ultrasound. Hi doc. Nice to meet you too.
He said follicles still looked small, but didn't up my Repronex dosage, so I guess it was okay progess? And then sent me to the lab to get bloodwork drawn for my Estradiol levels. Which I got a result of 45 (day 6). I have no idea what that means. I guess I can ask when I go in for my next appointment on Monday.
It's probably a good thing I'm not working right now otherwise I wouldn't be able to have all this time off to go to the doctor like, three times a week. I would also like to take this moment to profess my current love for Kaiser. Though the hubster gets a nice chunk taken out of his paycheck for our medical coverage and though I get $20 taken out of me each time I come in (for co-pay), I know it could be a lot worse. Like, $20, plus $200-500 for the ultrasound (which I get done each time I come in) and whatever all the labs cost... but all I pay is co-pay. No lab fees, no x-ray fees, no ultrasound fees... I know we're lucky to have the coverage because I can understand how so many people - couples - can go seriously into debt and bankrupt from just the natural desire of having a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.