Monday, June 13, 2011 (36 weeks, 1 day - now to 2 weeks to go)
When the nurse had told me "maybe" after I said "see you on Monday", my reaction was exactly this: O_O
So when Monday came around and I made it back to the doctor for my appointment that morning, I was all smiles. I made it to 36 weeks... the babies should officially be in the A-OK for delivery from this point on, which is what I had been hoping for.
Recap from Monday's doctor appointment:
- Group B strep results: negative (always a good thing)
- Baby A: still a bit on the small side, weighing in at approximately 4lbs 12oz, but her body is still measuring at the size of roughly a 32-week old
- Baby B: doing better than A, weighing in at approximately 5lbs 5oz, but her body is still measuring at the size of roughly a 33-34 week old
- Uterus has grown as high as it can (roughly 45cm) so now to accommodate the still growing babies, I will start expanding to the sides :/
- Decided to schedule an end date (official c-section date if the babies don't come naturally on their own before then) for two weeks (at the official twins "full term" of 38 weeks). Technically we can do it now, but per the OB's recommendation (which I totally agree on), let's keep them in as long as we can so that they can develop properly, since the signs show that they are still growing. At this point, since they (particularly A) are still on the smaller side, it is a question as to how well their lungs are developed. I'd obviously prefer to continue with 2 more weeks of uncomfortableness if it gives the babies a better chance to being fully developed and healthy and avoiding the NICU and being able to take them home from the hospital when I get released.
- Still 1cm dilated and Baby A is still breeched (and blocking B's exit route)... though it feels like they're kicking their way out of the birthing canal, I have high hopes of making it to 38 weeks after all.
And straight after the OB appointment, I headed into the routine NST appointment. Had 3 contractions during the monitoring which were about 7-8 minutes apart, but so far, no need for concern. However, we're ready for whenever they're ready.
On the physical front... the aching finger knuckles is getting really annoying. Almost as annoying as the numbness. But well, just a little inconvenience for me in exchange for two healthy little girls. Other inconveniences for this exchange: this giant hard belly squishing all my other organs so now, the girl who would be able to avoid the bathroom on a 15-hour non-stop flight from Australia takes a bathroom break at least once every 3 hours (just to create a little wiggle room in the body)... at least. Inability to sit like a normal person - because of giant belly I might as well be sitting on a horse. Obviously inability to move in certain directions; bending down is a no-brainer, but there is a specific technique for getting out of bed: adjust slowly and carefully so that I'm laying on my left side, then slowly push myself up with my hand/arm into an upright position and sitting for a minute or two for my belly to adjust to sitting position, then using the wall as a support, slowly standing up, and again waiting a bit for adjustment... then waddling to wherever I need to go. Not being able to sit for longer than an hour (or less). The surface of my belly feeling numb when I scratch it (although this is more funny than an inconvenience to me). With the aching fingers, it makes writing with a pen/pencil really difficult. And it's really HOT in here.
But you know, if all goes well, it'll all end in roughly two weeks. But even if it wasn't in 2 weeks, I'd continue with it until however long I need to so that the girls get a good, healthy start. So all in all, I'd say I'm doing fine... as fine as a 4'-11" person carrying twins (who, combined are nearly 10-1/2 lbs) at 36 weeks. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.