Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oh boy. I mean, Girl. I mean, Girls.

 Sunday, February 20, 2011 (20 weeks, 1 day)

Emma's 1st birthday party. Part of our morning errands included going to Party City to pick up a bunch of balloons for the party (I made the hubster maneuver the balloons into the car). While waiting for our balloons, I was leaning my back against the counter when a woman, who was carrying her baby and was also waiting for balloons, asked me, "When are you due?"

At first I was like, Huh? And then I remembered, oh, right... So I responded, "July."
And then with a look of surprise/shock on her face, simply said, "WOW!"
Which made me wonder. And then I looked down and with the leaning back and my flowy shirt (and the extra padding I naturally have), I understood her comment. I stood up straight and smoothed my hands over my belly (now looking a lot less pronounced) and said, "We're having twins."
And then she said, "Oh, that makes sense! Congratulations!" :|

That was the first time someone had asked me when I was due... I assume it's because she had a baby and you know. Pregnant women and new moms are all about the baby-ness (my sister totally stares and smiles and coos at stranger's babies when we're out and about now). But then she was all shocked that I still had about 4 months to go and I guess I looked like I was way further along than that. Oh well. When one of my uncles saw me later that day, he smiled and said, "You don't look that much different, how far along are you?"

But then that could always mean he always thought I looked pregnant. Oh wells. At least now I can just rub my belly and say, Yup!

Monday, February 21, 2011 (20 weeks, 2 days)
This afternoon we had our usual doctor's appointment with the high-risk OB (there's a name for them, but I can never remember what it is, I just know it starts with a P and it's not "prenatal" or "pedia-"). She started by measuring my... fundus? Anyway, whatever that word is, it's basically how high [something] is above your bone. She said a singleton at 20 weeks would basically be about 20cm, but since I'm having twins, mine was at 28cm (so equivalent to a singleton at 28 weeks) so HA! to the lady at Party City. Actually, never mind. She understood I showed more than usual because I was having twins.

So I then told the doctor that we had our official ultrasound/sonogram appointment the Wednesday before and that they couldn't tell us what the babies were. She looked at me and asked, "You mean all that time and nothing?"... Nope.
So while she was checking the babies and their heartbeats on the ultrasound machine, she said, "Let's see if we can take a peak here..." and after a bit of maneuvering with the ultrasound thing, she said, "If I had to guess, Baby A looks like a girl. Of course, it's not the clearest image right now, but if I had to guess, I'd say a girl. But keep in mind that it's just as good as the image shows, so it's never 100% positive until they're out... and... Baby B looks like a girl as well..."

TWO girls?!

I looked over at the hubster who sat still, staring at the monitor. I wonder what was going through his mind at that very moment. I know that I for one was kind of freaking out. Almost as much as when I found out we were having twins. How the heck was I going to manage two girls?

"So... how sure would you say your guess is...?" the hubster asks. Ah, he was were I was at.

"I would have to go with 90% sure both are girls," the doctor replied. "But again, remember that it's not 100% until they're both out."

Well after that initial shock (my order of preference was one of each, then two boys, AND THEN two girls... I don't know why girls worry me. Maybe it's from watching Emma hahaha) as we were heading back to our car, the hubster says, "Well that totally makes sense."
Huh?

"Every time I had dreams with our babies in it, they were always girls."
I see. The hubster has tons of baby dreams. I don't. LOL.

But, along with finding out they were both girls, the doctor also informed us that both babies are growing well and are at a size she's happy with that is pretty much where they are supposed to be in age, and also that my prenatal first and second trimester blood tests (that tests for some issues like down syndrome and other similar items) came back negative. A definite good news for us! So we are happy.

On a side note, my glucose has been relatively low lately. Not worrisome low, but much lower than before. Since my last check-in last week, I have not had any elevations whatsoever - in fact, some after meal numbers were under 100 (my fasting number should be below 105 and my after meal number should be below 130)! So... I ended up cheating last night. I was going to make a cheese toast for my bedtime snack (1 starch + 1 protein) and when I opened the fridge, I stared at the carrot cake (as usual). I looked around (I don't know why considering the hubster had just left to grab a quick late-night bite with a friend) and then slid the cake out onto the kitchen table and reached for a fork. I know, I know! So taboo. Beyond taboo! It was a sweet carrot cake (even my sister thought it was really sweet, and she got my mom's sweet tooth - my mom who is now diabetic) with some walnuts and I think raisins in it, with a cream cheese frosting on the top, side and in between the two cake layers. I took a bite... oh my. Oh my. I took another bite. Oh my... I ended up finishing it. Just kidding. I probably had about a 1/2" thick sliver, eating the cake part and throwing out the frosting. I ended up watching some TV after that and before I actually went to bed, I decided to check my glucose, out of curiosity. I was anticipating a crazy high number... 170? 200 maybe?

114.

*scratches head* Well. That was... unexpected. But even though it completely fell in my approved range... I'm not about to do that again. Sugar! What was I thinking! This isn't about me - it's about our two little baby girls. A few minutes later, the hubster came home and I confessed the cake incident.

This morning I found the cake in the trash. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.